Sunday, September 26, 2010

Left Side! Strong Side!

I avoided football games in high school, as a general rule. Not being a huge fan of watching sports, coupled with the I-am-way-to-artsy-to-care-about-the-football-team attitude that I adopted, means that I have a limited perspective in this area. The (very) few games that I attended way back when did not leave me with any lasting impressions, other than this was the place they made into the track once the football players were done with it. Most of the football experience I have is from watching movies made about football...which means that I have the most accurate and realistic information about the sport then, right? (right????)


Revisiting this milieu as an adult left me with very definite impressions and a tiny (really, really, really tiny) understanding of why football is king here in Texas. Here below are the thoughts I recorded during this game, in a pseudo stream of consciousness  (slightly modified for punctuation and grammar, because that is just how I roll...blame it on my English teachers):


The sheer number of people involved in making this happen is staggering. Event staff with official t shirts, band, cheerleaders, players, dance teams, mascots, coaches, athletic trainers,videographers, photographers, journalists, families of all those involved, plus the random fans who have no affiliation other than the love of the game. The excitement and competition are palpable. The possibilities are endless as the coin is tossed. The players run on the field as warriors to battle. The anthem unites the rivals for a few moments, and the billowing flag is a reminder that the greater purpose of the world continues, despite the outcome of this game. The game begins and I am utterly lost. There is great celebration and much confusion as the arduous process of start- stop-start again begins. The band and cheerleaders are tireless. Score! Or should I say touchdown!!! Every play is celebrated as a battle won. The bands attempt to outplay each other, the announcer to shout above it all...would it be party-pooper-ish of me to long secretly for ear plugs? Is it my ears that hurt or is it a deeper secret desire to not be too in the moments of life? This town was a one high school town for many, many years. This inter-district rivalry is a new and delicious experience. This is Texas, where football is king. Small girls run around in cheer clinic and Boswell pioneer tees. Young boys watch intently and yell "good play!" and "go go go!" And "touchdown!" T shirts tossed to the crowd cause more excitement than is really necessary, the proffered shirts coveted like precious jewels. The Boswell band plays a few seriously cool tunes (Green Day, really??) and several of the traditional fare. The announcer talks constantly,  seeming to shout over the dueling bands, and why is it that I am the only one who notices the rain?


The thoughts recorded now, for all to read, I must admit that I have reached some conclusions regarding football . I definitely no longer see football as boring, although I am still not a convert to the church of the NFL and it is highly doubtful that I will ever become a football proselyte. I also have a greater respect for the players, having doubted the amount of brain power needed to play (rude and judgmental of me, I know). The plays were nicely orchestrated and executed, the teams working together as if one body, controlled by one mind. I realize that pulling off plays that actually work, with that many people and who knows how many variables involved, is no small feat. I will no longer scoff, nor will I roll my eyes at the mention of the game. For a few hours, one night a few weeks ago, I (almost) got caught up in football fever. Football fans, I totally (almost, kinda sorta, a little teensy weensy bit) get you now...Although, I was still hoping for the football team to enter the field à la Remember the Titans...

No comments:

Post a Comment